On the World Environment Day, 5 June 2018, SUT declared the policy to reduce the use of plastics in all area under the “SUT Say No Plastic” campaign. There are 6 measures under implementation with the stores operating within SUT campus including,
- Not providing single use plastic bags from convenient stores except for hot items.
- Stop selling drinking water that uses cap seals.
- Stop automatically giving single use spoons-forks-knives-straws and seasoning/sauces with purchase but have them available for the consumers to pick up if required.
- Not using Styrofoam and single use clear plastic food containers (use only bagasse and paper based products).
- Reduce the use of straws that is packaged in plastic and if necessary use straws with paper packaging instead.
- Provide incentives including price reduction if consumers bring their own glass/ cups/mugs and food containers.
The implementation of the 6 activities on reducing the use of paper and plastics was able to reduce the use of paper by 1.78 million pieces/year and reduce the use of plastic by 2.00 million pieces/year which translates to a saving of 450,000 THB/year.